|¾ teaspoon||Cayenne pepper|
|½ teaspoon||Onion powder|
|½ teaspoon||White pepper|
|¼ teaspoon||Garlic powder|
|¼ teaspoon||Black pepper|
|1||Whole roasting chicken; about 3 pounds|
|1 cup||Chopped onions|
Combine all spices (first 8 ingredients) in a small bowl.
1. Rinse chicken, inside and out. Drain well.
2. Rub spice mixture oover skin and the inside of chicken.
3. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.
4. When ready to roast, stuff cavity with onions.
5. Place chicken BREAST SIDE DOWN in roasting pan.
6. Roast uncovered at 250* F ( really!---250*F) Anything over 225 is safe as long as the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 155*, which this does, and more. Roast for about 5 hours. Baste occasionally with pan juices or until pan juices start to caramelize on bottom of pan and chicken is golden brown. The above is almost verbatum from the internet. I didn't read the recipe until the day I was planning on cooking the chicken.
I had a 6 pound chicken and I didn't marinate it all night. Since my chicken was twice as big, I had the oven at 300* and cooked it for 5 hours.
I didn't even take time to baste it except once about an hour before it was done. It was absolutely WONDERFUL! Hope some of you try this! Posted to EAT-L Digest by Pat Hogberg <DHOGBERG@...> on Aug 28, 1997
Random recipe of the day