|1 pack||Yellow cake mix 8oz package|
|⅓ cup||Plus 1/4 cup water; divided|
|1 ounce||Hershey's unsweetened baking chocolate; melted|
|3 tablespoons||Vegetable oil|
|4 cups||Strawberry ice cream; or favorite flavor|
|Meringue; (recipe follows)|
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 8-inch round pan.
2. In medium bowl, stir together cake mix and sugar; add ⅓ cup water, melted chocolate and egg, beating until blended. Add oil and remaining ¼ cup water; beat until smooth and well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
Cover; freeze until firm.
4. Meanwhile, line 2-½ quart dome-shaped bowl with foil. Soften ice cream and pack evenly into prepared bowl. Cover; freeze until firm. Prepare MERINGUE.
5. Heat oven to 450°F. Cover wooden board or cookie sheet with foil. Center frozen cake layer on foil; invert and unmold ice cream onto top. Peel off foil from ice cream. Spread meringue evenly over entire surface, covering holes and sealing edges down to foil.
6. Bake 3 to 5 minutes or just until lightly browned. Remove from oven; serve immediately. Or, cover with cake saver lid (not foil or plastic wrap) and immediately return to freezer; serve frozen. 10 to 12 servings.
MERINGUE: In large bowl, stir together ½ cup cold water, 1 tablespoon meringue powder and ¼ cup sugar. Beat 5 minutes until blended; gradually add additional ¼ cup sugar, beating until meringue is stiff and dry. Use immediately.
Posted to brand-name-recipes by Beach Princess<barbra@...> on Jan 24, 1998
Random recipe of the day