|4 quarts||Chopped, cored, peeled tomatoes (about 24 large)|
|1 cup||Chopped celery|
|½ cup||Chopped onion|
|¼ cup||Chopped green pepper|
This recipe makes about 7 pints and must be processed in a steam pressure canner because of the low acid ingredients. You'll use all the basic equipment.
1. Organize and prepare ingredients, equipment, and work area.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large kettle or saucepan, heat to boiling and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Ladle or pour hot tomatoes into hot jars to within ½ inch of tops. Run a slim, non metal tool down along the inside of each jar to release air bubbles. Add additional hot liquid, if necessary, to within ½ inch of tops of jars.
4. Wipe tops and threads of jars with a damp clean cloth.
5. Put on lids and screw bands as manufacturer directs.
6. Process at 10 pounds pressure, 15 minutes. Follow manufacturers directions for your canner.
7. Follow basic steps for steam pressure canning, 10 through 24.
Source: Vegetable Gardening Encyclopedia Typos by Dorothy Flatman 1995 Submitted By DOROTHY FLATMAN On 10-07-95
Random recipe of the day