|6||Dried black mushrooms (up to)|
|1 slice||Fresh ginger root|
|3 tablespoons||Soy sauce|
|2 tablespoons||Sherry (up to)|
1. Separately soak dried mushrooms and lily buds.
2. Wipe chicken with a damp cloth. Mince ginger root; then combine with soy sauce, sherry, sugar and salt. Rub mixture over chicken skin and let stand 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a large heavy pan. Truss chicken and brown quickly on all sides, then drain off excess oil.
4. Boil water and add to chicken along with soaked mushrooms and lily buds.
Bring to a boil; then simmer, covered, until done (about 1 hour).
5. Let chicken cool slightly; then, with a cleaver, chop chicken, bones and all, in 2-inch sections; or carve Western-style. Serve with lily buds, mushrooms and sauce poured over. VARIATIONS: 1. Omit step 2. Brown chicken as in step 3. Then add the sherry, sugar, salt and water, and bring to a boil. Add the soy sauce, ginger root, soaked mushrooms and lily buds. Simmer as in step 4.
2. In step 2, omit the ginger-soy mixture and rub chicken instead with 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Let stand 10 minutes. Then add ¼ cup sherry, 2 cups boiling water, the salt, sugar, mushrooms and lily buds. Simmer as in step 4.
3. In step 4, add, with the black mushrooms and lily buds, 2 tablespoons cloud ear mushrooms (soaked) and 6 Chinese red dates.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .
Random recipe of the day