|3||Dried black mushrooms|
|1||(large) chicken breast|
|1 tablespoon||Soy sauce|
|½ cup||Bamboo shoots|
|2 tablespoons||Smoked ham (up to)|
|2 tablespoons||Soy sauce|
1. Soak dried mushrooms.
2. Skin and bone chicken breast and cut in 2-inch squares. Combine cornstarch, soy sauce and salt. Add to chicken and toss gently to coat.
3. Cut leeks in 1-inch sections; slice bamboo shoots and soaked mushrooms.
4. Heat oil. Add leeks and stir-fry to brown lightly; then remove. Heat remaining oil. Add chicken; stir-fry until it loses its pinkness. Return leeks to pan.
5. Add water and bring to a boil. Stir in sherry and remaining soy sauce; then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
6. Add sliced bamboo shoots and mushrooms; simmer, covered, 20 minutes more. Remove chicken and vegetables, leaving liquids in pan. Arrange on a serving platter and keep warm.
7. Blend remaining cornstarch and cold water to a paste; stir in sugar.
Then add to liquids in pan, stirring to thicken. Pour sauce over chicken.
Garnish with ham, sprinkle with Worcestershire Sauce and serve.
NOTE: This Shanghai style dish is sometimes called Princess Chicken.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .
Random recipe of the day