|6||Dried black mushroons|
|2 pounds||Chicken legs|
|3||Sets chicken giblets|
|2 slices||Fresh ginger root (up to)|
|3 tablespoons||Soy sauce|
1. Soak dried mushrooms. Shell chestnuts (see "How-to Section"); then cut in half.
2. With a cleaver, chop chicken legs, bones and all, in 2-inch sections.
Chop giblets in 2-inch sections. Slice ginger root and soaked mushrooms.
3. Heat oil in a heavy pan. Quickly brown chicken and giblet sections. Add ginger root and mushrooms; stir-fry about 1 minute.
4. Meanwhile heat, but do not boil, water; then stir in soy sauce, sherry and salt. Pour over chicken and bring to a boil. Then simmer, covered, 30 to 35 minutes.
5. Add chestnuts and simmer, covered, 15 minutes more.
NOTE: This dish is often served at holiday feasts and elaborate dinners.
VARIATION: Brown chicken as in step 3; then sprinkle with 1-½ tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sherry and 3 tablespoons cold water. Stir in to heat. Add the salt and ginger root and simmer, covered, 30 minutes without additional water. Then pick up step 5.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .
Random recipe of the day