|2¼ cup||Flour, sifted|
|¼ teaspoon||Baking powder|
|1 teaspoon||Baking soda|
|1 tablespoon||Ginger (or to taste)|
|½ cup||Sorghum molasses|
1. Measure and sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. Combine shortening and sugar in smaller bowl.
3. Beat until light and fluffy.
4. Blend in molasses and egg; stir until well mixed.
5. Add above flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
6. Mix until smooth. Chill dough in refrigerator (preferably overnight).
7. Pat out portions of dough onto floured board, about ¼- to ½-inch thick.
8. Cut with cookie cutter and place on UNGREASED cookie sheet.
9. Bake at 375 degrees for 9-10 minutes. DO NOT overbake! Watch closely after about 8-9 minutes.
NOTES: These cookies stay soft and travel well. I use for gingerbread men. Seal tightly in a tin on plastic bag. This recipe can be doubled if desired to make 3 dozen cookies.
Recipe passed down through the years to my wife, Barbara Cloninger.
Typed in Meal-Master format by Arthur Cloninger, Huntington, WV.
Random recipe of the day