|¾ cup||Butter And Solid Shortening,|
|½ cup||Brown Sugar|
|½ cup||Granulated Sugar|
|1 teaspoon||Vanilla Extract|
|2 cups||All-Purpose Flour, sifted|
|½ teaspoon||Baking Soda|
Preheat oven to 400 F. Cream the butter and shortening together with the sugars until fluffy. The butter is for flavor and the shortening adds crispness. The add the egg and vanilla and blend well. Sift the flour with the soda and salt, then resift. Add to butter mixture, blending well.
Divide dough in half and, using your finger tips, roll each half into a long roll about 2 inches in diameter. ( 1 roll may be frozen for future use.) Chill dough ½ hr. then cut roll into ¼-inch slices or press through a cookie press. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 8 to 10 mins or until cookies are golden around edges.
Yield: 5 dozen cookies.
VARIATIONS: 1. Peanut butter - combine ½ cup peanut butter with ½ cup butter omitting shortening and using ½ cup less flour.
2. Chocolate chip - Add ½ cup chocolate chips, ¼ cup chopped nuts, and 2 Tbs milk.
3. Lemon wafers - add 1 Tbs freshly grated lemon rind and replace vanilla with lemon extract.
4. Molasses-spice - add 2 Tbs molasses, 1½ tsp more baking soda, and replace vanilla with 1 tsp each ground ginger, cloves, and cinnamon.
5. Honey - replace granulated sugar with ½ cup honey; add ½ cup more flour.
6. Pumpkin - add 1 Tbs pumpkin pie spice.
7. Apple - add 1 Tbs spple pie spice and 1 small apple, peeled, cored, and chopped.
8. Eggnog - add 1 Tbs rum and 1 tsp grated nutmeg.
9. Fruitcake - add 1 Tbs brandy and ½ cup chopped citron and nuts.
Recipe By : Spoonbread & Strawberry Wine - ISBN 0-385-47270-6 From: Dan Klepach Date: 05-18-95 (159) Fido: Cooking
Random recipe of the day