|Topping (recipe follows)|
|2 cups||Plus 3 T unsifted all purpose flour|
|¾ cup||(1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened|
|1 large||Egg lightly beaten|
|1 cup||Grated Cheddar cheese|
|1 teaspoon||Grated lemon rind|
|½ teaspoon||Ground cinnamon|
|¼ teaspoon||Ground nutmeg|
|5 cups||Peeled, cored and grated assorted apples|
|1 tablespoon||Fresh lemon juice|
1. Heat oven to 425'F. Grease a 13by 9-inch baking pan.
2. Prepare Crumb Topping (recipe follows); set aside. In small bowl, combine 2 C flour and the salt; set aside. In large bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and ¼ C sugar until combined. Add egg and beat until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
3. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture until soft dough forms. With fingers, press dough evenly into greased pan.
4. In large bowl, combine cheese, remaining ¼ C sugar, remaining 3 T flour, the lemon rind, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Fold in apples and lemon juice. Spoon apple mixture over dough in pan. Sprinkle Crumb Topping evenly over apple mixture.
5. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Cool completely on wire rack-at least 40 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to serve, then cut into bars.
Crumb Topping: In medium-size bowl, combine ¼ C unsifted allpurpose flour and ⅓ C sugar. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 5 T butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Country Cooking/Summer/94 Scanned & fixed by Di and Gary
Random recipe of the day