|Pastry (recipe follows)|
|½ cup||Heavy cream|
|1 teaspoon||Grated orange rind|
|¼ teaspoon||Almond extract|
|1 cup||Sliced almonds|
|Whipped cream for garnish (opt.)|
|Raspberry preserves (opt.)|
1. At least 2 flours before preparing tart, make Pastry (recipe follows).
2. When pastry has chilled, heat oven to 375'F. Between floured sheets of waxed paper, roll out pastry to an 11-inch round. Fit into a 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Trim pastry even with edge of pan. With tines of fork, pierce bottom and sides of pastry.
3. Place tart pan on rimmed baking sheet. Line pastry shell with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights. Bake 8 minutes; remove pan from oven and lift out foil and weights. Return pastry to oven and bake 4 minutes longer. Set aside on wire rack to cool.
4. Meanwhile, in bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, stir together cream, sugar, rind, and extract until sugar has dissolved, Fold in almonds.
5. Spoon almond mixture evenly into pastry shell. Return to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until filling is golden. Cool to room temperature on wire rack.
6. When tart is cool, if desired, spoon whipped cream around outer edge; stir preserves and drizzle over cream. Cut into 12 wedges and serve.
Pastry: In medium-size bowl, combine 1 C unsifted all-purpose flour, ½ t salt, and ½ t sugar. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 6 T unsalted butter and 2 T vegetable shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add 2½ to 3 T ice water to flour mixture, mixing lightly with fork until pastry is moist enough to form a ball. With hands, roll into a ball and flatten to 1-inch thickness. Wrap and refrigerate at least 2 flours before using.
Country Cooking/Summer/94 Scanned & fixed by Di and Gary
Random recipe of the day