|4 tablespoons||Dry sherry, or rice wine|
|4 teaspoons||Soy sauce|
|1 teaspoon||Instant chicken bouillon|
|4||Whole chicken breasts|
|8||Fresh mushrooms, sliced|
|3 cups||Vegetable oil|
|½ cup||Blanched whole almonds|
|(about 3 ounces)|
|1 teaspoon||Grated, fresh ginger root|
|½||Drained, sliced bamboo shoos|
1. Combine water, 2 tablespoons of the sherry, 1½ tablespoons of the cornstarch, the soy sauce and bouillon in small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
2. Remove skin and bones from chicken. Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sherry, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, egg white and salt. Mix in chicken pieces.
3. Pare carrot and dice. Cut onions into 1-inch pieces. Cut celery diagonally into ½-inch slices.
4. Heat oil in wok over high heat until it reaches 375 degrees F. Add chicken pieces, one at a time, to hot oil (cook only ⅓ of the pieces at a time). Cook until light brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with remaining chicken.
5. Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from wok. Stir-fry almonds in the oil until golden, about 2 minutes. Drain.
6. Add carrot and ginger to wok. Stir-fry 1 minute. Add all remaining vegetables. Stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
Mix in chicken, almonds and sauce. Stir-fry until hot.
SOURCE: Chinese Cooking Class Cookbook by editors of Consumer Guide.
Random recipe of the day