|1 cup||Unbleached flour|
|1 cup||Whole wheat flour|
|2 teaspoons||Baking powder|
|4 tablespoons||Reduced-fat margarine or light butter|
|1 teaspoon||Vanilla extract|
|1 teaspoon||Almond extract|
|¼ cup||Finely chopped almonds|
1. Combine the flours, sugar, and baking powder, and stir to mix well. Use a pastry cutter to cut in the margarine or butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the egg whites and the vanilla and almond extracts. Fold in the almonds.
2. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into two 9 x 2 inch logs. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, and place the logs on the sheet, leaving 4 inches of space between the logs to allow for spreading. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
3. Cool the logs at room temperature for 10 minutes. Then use a serrated knife to slice the logs diagonally into ½ inch thick slices.
4. Place the slices on an ungreased baking sheet in a single layer, cut side down. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes, or until dry and crisp, turning the slices after 10 minutes.
5. Transfer the biscotti to wire racks, and cool completely. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
Nutritional info per biscotti: Calories: 76, Fat: 1.8g, Protein: 1.9g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 57 mg, Fiber: 1 g, Calcium: 12 mg, Potassium: 43 mg, Iron: ½ mg.
Posted to Digest eat-lf.v096.n205 Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:06:46 -0400 From: hnewling@... (Helen Newling)
Random recipe of the day